Classes are cancelled on Thanksgiving Day, the first day of Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Passover, and Good Friday.
Instructors may find it necessary to cancel classes during the academic year. It is expected that instructors will inform their students of any planned cancellations.
Illness or unexpected commitments may make it necessary to cancel a class without advance notice. In this instance:
- A message should be sent to the class via the on-line class list
- Faculty should arrange with their assistants to have notices posted on the classroom door, showing the date of the class cancelled.
- Adjunct Faculty should contact the Receptionist at 978-0210 to inform students of unexpected cancellation of classes.
Notice of cancellation of a class will be posted in the following locations:
- On listserv by Receptionist, Tel: 416-978-0210 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- On classroom Door (on day of class only with date of cancellation)
- Events Notice board in entrance hall of Falconer Hall, and
- Official Notice Boards in the basement of Flavelle House
Cancellation due to Bad Weather
In the event of class cancellation due to bad weather, instructors will be contacted by the Assistant Dean's office and notices will be posted at the law school and sent out on the listserv.
It is left to the discretion of the individual instructor as to whether or not cancelled classes should be rescheduled.
- Instructors must contact the Faculty Receptionist at 416-978-0210 to book a room for a re-scheduled class.
- No classes may be rescheduled during the last week of either term or on the Friday prior to the start of exams.
- Friday afternoon is reserved for rescheduled classes. This avoids conflicts with other classes scheduled during the week.
- Only in special circumstances are classes held between 12:30 and 2:00 p.m. as these times are reserved for Workshops and student activities. Instructors may reschedule classes during these time slots only if no Workshop or activity has been scheduled by Monday of the week in which the extra class is to be held.
- In some small seminars, instructors may find another time which is convenient to all the students in the course. However, an instructor may not reschedule a class in an unusual time if students have a course conflict.
- Classes may not be rescheduled for extra curricular events.